Permethrin Clothing: Powerful Protection Against Tick Bites
If you are heading outdoors to garden, hike, or play, you probably choose your outfit based on the weather forecast and the activities you have planned. You should also be thinking about ticks. Your clothing is your primary protection against tick-borne diseases and the right outfit can help you deter, see, and remove ticks before they can bite.
For the best protection against tick bites, wear:
- Long-sleeved shirts and long pants. Avoid exposing skin outdoors, especially around your lower legs. Ticks will try to grab on as you brush against grasses and leaves.
- Light-colored clothing. Ticks are small but they are dark. You will see them better against light clothing and be able to remove them faster.
- Permethrin-treated clothing. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends permethrin-treated clothing to prevent tick bites. Permethrin is a synthetic form of chrysanthemum flower oil, a natural insecticide. Fabric treated with permethrin is safe to wear and can also be used on outdoor gear such as tents, blankets, netting, backpacks, and more.
- Permethrin-treated clothing creates a powerful first line of protection against ticks and other biting bugs that won’t wear off as you work, play or sweat. You can find permethrin-treated clothing online and at many outdoors stores. You can also treat your own clothes at home with topical permethrin repellants. If you decide to treat your own clothing with permethrin, read and follow the directions for use very carefully, as some cautions and risks are involved.
When you come back inside, make sure you:
- Change your clothes and place worn clothing in the dryer for 20 minutes. This will kill any ticks that may be hiding in your clothing.
- Do a thorough and careful tick check. You can find step-by-step instructions here.
Permethrin-treated clothing is a wonderful way to enjoy the outdoors without worrying about ticks. Get your permethrin protection here!